The CMIT is a certificate program that helps young professionals launch and develop a successful career into the construction management industry. The CMIT designation demonstrates competence in the practice of construction management early in an individual’s CM career. Individuals who have earned their CMIT designation are able to show employers and clients they are invested in the industry as well as in their own professional development.
Why become a CMIT?
- Connect and work closely with CCM mentors to create and manage development plans.
- Show employers, clients, and peers that you are committed to acquiring the knowledge and capabilities to become a professional, practicing construction manager.
- Network with other CMITs and stay active within the industry.
- Increase awareness of the Body of Knowledge and principles represented by professional construction managers.
- Beginning your path to becoming a CCM.
Who is the CMIT program for?
- Soon-to-be and recent graduates of an accredited Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management degree programs.
- Working graduate-degree candidates.
- Early career individuals focused on pursing the CCM credential.
- Experienced professionals dedicated to becoming a professional construction manager.
The Application Process
Step 1: Determine eligibility
Individuals must meet at least one (1) of the following qualifications to be eligible for the CMIT program:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management.
- 75 credit hours toward a Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management program.
- Associate’s degree or certificate in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management.
- Four (4) years of general design/construction experience.
Step 2: Apply Online
To apply online, select “store” from the menu on the top-right side of the page and then add the CMIT Application to your cart. After checking out and making payment, applications are typically processed within one week of submission. CMIT application fees are $75 for CMAA members, $125 for non-members.
Step 3: Study for CMIT exam
After an application is approved, CMCI will contact the candidate via email and provide instructions for how to access and use the study materials and CMIT exam online.
Step 4: Pass the CMIT exam
The CMIT exam consists of 200 multiple choice online questions. Candidates are given 6 hours for completion. The use of reference materials or tools while completing the exam is permitted.
Download the CMIT Application Handbook for more details about becoming a CMIT.
Once you have passed the exam, CMAA will contact all new CMITs and provide the information for how to access the CCM Mentor Directory. CMITs can then pick and declare their mentor here. For more information about mentoring, see the CMIT Mentoring Guide.
For more information, please contact CMCI or call (703) 356-2622.